Chana Masala is a famous Indian recipe. There are many versions of chana masala.
Here I have used chickpeas, which is boiled at home. You can also use canned chickpeas for the recipe.
Chickpeas or chole is cooked with Indian masala powder and simmered in a thick gravy of pureed onion tomato mixture.
Ground tomato onion paste brings a creamy texture to chana masala.
It goes with roti, naan, etc.
- 1 cup chickpeas / vella kadala
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 3 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight.
- Pressure cook chickpeas. Set aside cooked chickpeas.
- Heat little oil in a pan.
- Saute onion, tomato, and green chilli for 2 minutes.
- Grind sautéed ingredients with ginger garlic paste. Set aside ground paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add curry leaves. Add ground paste. Fry on medium heat until oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water. Add cooked chickpeas along with water in which it is cooked. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Switch off the stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.