Dhabe di dal is a popular mixed dal recipe.
Mixed dals used are urad dal, rajma, and chana dal.
Ideally dal is simmered for long, which gives dal a creamy texture.
Punjabi dal curry goes well with roti and a tall glass of lassi.
- ¼ cup chana dal
- ¼ cup red kidney beans
- ½ cup urad dal (black beans)
- 2 medium sized onion
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 3 green chillies, slit
- 3 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp dry fenugreek leaves / kasoori methi (roasted in a kadai for 1-2 mins)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Clean and wash chana dal, kidney beans, and urad dal.
- Soak black beans, chana dal, and red kidney beans in water for at least 6 hours.
- Drain and place the dal along with beans in pressure cooker.
- Add 4 cups of water.
- Pressure cook on high heat till 4 whistles. Now simmer for 30 mins. Set this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and green chillies. When onion turns light brown in color, add garlic. Stir fry.
- Add red chilli powder and cumin powder. Cook for a minute.
- Add tomato and fry on high flame for 3-4 minutes or until masala leaves oil.
- Add salt and remove from fire.
- Pour prepared masala on to pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes.
- Crush roasted kasoori methi between the palms and add to curry.
Add butter and coriander leaves. Transfer this to a serving bowl.