This mildly spiced wine is served during weddings and parties along with Kerala Plum Cake.
This grape wine can be prepared without much hassle.
Unlike the traditional homemade wine recipes, it can’t be kept for long periods of time. You need to refrigerate instant wine.
- Grapes – 1 kg
- Sugar – ¾ kg
- Cinnamon – 2 small pcs
- Cloves – 3-4
- Cardamom – 2
- Active dried yeast – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Water – 3 liters
1. Wash black grapes in several changes of water to remove dirt and grime sticking to it.
2. Soak grapes in water for 1 hour. Drain. Wipe grapes with a towel. Allow it to dry thoroughly.
3. In a glass, add yeast, sugar, and warm water. Stir well. Close the glass jar using a lid. Allow it to rise.
4. Heat water in a pan. Add grapes, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. When water is hot, add sugar. Stir well to combine.
5. When water starts to boil, reduce the flame to low. Stir nicely. Mash the grapes using the back of a spoon. Mashing the grapes helps to release the color and flavor of grapes easily. Cook for 5 minutes. Mashing grapes is an important step, which should not be skipped.If your grapes have a thick peel, cook for some more time.
6. When grapes are all cooked, mashed, and released a nice red wine color, switch off the stove. Let it cool down.
7. Now, add ingredients to a glass jar. Make sure your glass jar is clean and dry. Please avoid using jars, which were previously used for pickling.
8. Add the ingredients only up to 3/4th of the jar. Add yeast to the jar. Stir well. Please use a wooden or steel spoon for stirring. Avoid using spoon, which we normally use for cooking or serving curry. Close the jar using a lid. Tie a cloth. Set the jar aside.
9. Next day, open the jar. Stir well. Close the lid and tie with a cloth. Continue the same process of opening the jar, stirring, closing the jar, and tying the cloth for 5 days.
10. On 6th day, open the jar, pass the contents through a strainer. Discard the grape peel. Don’t squeeze the contents.
11. Transfer the grape wine to bottles. Bottle should be cleaned and dried beforehand. Fill wine lower than 3/4th of the bottle. If you fill wine to the brim, wine will rise and shoot up.
12. Instant wine should be used fast, as it won’t keep for long.
If you are planning to keep it for long time, please refrigerate.