Snake gourd/ padavalanga tomato curry is a delicious Kerala style curry (Ozhichu Curry) prepared with dal and ground coconut paste.
Snake gourd cut in to small pieces – 1 small
Toor Dal – 1 /4 cup
Tomatoes, chopped – 2 nos
Green chilli – 2nos
Onion thinly sliced – 1no
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 /2 tsp
Grated coconut – 1 /2 cup
Shallots – 4 no
Mustard seeds – 1 /2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Coconut Oil -2 tbsp
Salt as needed
1. Grind coconut, shallots, chilli powder, and little water into a fine paste.
2. Pressure cook dal with enough water for 2-3 whistles.
3. Open the lid of the pressure cooker. Now add snake gourd pieces, onion, tomato, green chilli, turmeric powder and salt. Cook until 1 whistle.
4. When snake gourd pieces are cooked, add ground paste. Mix well.
5. Let the curry boil for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
6. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pour this over the prepared curry.
Serve hot with rice.