Peechinga parippu ularthiyathu or ridge gourd dal fry is a simple preparation done with a mixture of ridge gourd and chana dal.
Ridge gourd is rich in dietary fiber. This stir fry is rich in fiber and protein. Peechinga parippu ularthiyathu goes well with rice and chapati.
- ½ cup chana dal
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ cup shallots
- 20 garlic
- 5 dry red chillies
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Curry leaves
- 2 cups ridge gourd
- Cook dal in required water and salt till they are half done (don’t overcook dal). Set this aside.
- Using a pestle and mortar, crush shallots, garlic, and dry red chillies. Set this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add set aside crushed shallots-garlic-red chillies.
- Add turmeric powder and curry leaves. Sauté well.
- When onion turns light brown in colour, add ridge gourd, half cooked dal, and salt. Close the lid and cook till they are done.
When water is all dried out and the ridge gourd is cooked, it is ready to be served.