This thoran is often prepared with the leftover banana peels after making banana chips. Banana peels along with whole moong dal makes a nutrient rich thoran.
Kaya thondu thoran is mainly cooked before wedding day.
- 250 gm raw banana peel / pachakaya thondu
- ¼ cup green gram / cherupayar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp shallots, chopped
- Curry leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- Clean and cut banana peel into small pieces.
- Boil green gram dal and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle mustard seeds. Sauté ginger, green chillies, onion chopped, and curry leaves.
- When onion turns light brown in colour, add turmeric powder, salt and banana peel. Mix well and close with a lid and cook.
- When peel is cooked, add green gram and grated coconut. After 3 minutes, switch off the stove.
Delicious banana peel thoran is ready.