Raw banana/Ethakka, big – 2 Nos.
Big prawns – 1/4 cup
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Onion, sliced – 1 No.
Green chillies, slit – 4 Nos.
Shallots/Pearl onion – 6 Nos.
Fennel powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Tamarind – Optional
1. Peel raw bananas and cut it into pieces. In a bowl of water, add turmeric powder and salt. Place raw bananas in this and wash them.
2. Grind grated coconut in a blender. You should get the consistency of a coarse coconut paste.
3. In a pan, add raw bananas, prawns, onion, green chillies, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to a cup of water. Cook them.
4. When raw bananas are half cooked, add ground coconut paste, fennel powder, and tamarind water (optional). Lower the flame. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. When the gravy thickens, add coconut oil and curry leaves. Close the lid. Switch off the stove.
Note:- If you like mild sour taste, add tamarind water, tomatoes or yogurt in Step 4.
More Raw banana recipes:
Raw banana curry
Raw banana and string beans stir fry